Fox News is reporting that FBI officials are still looking into the possibility that an unknown suspect may have hacked into one of the computers of a U.S. senator and is now being sought by the FBI.
The article, citing multiple people familiar with the matter, says the investigation is continuing.
“The FBI is not ruling out the possibility of an FBI investigation into possible criminal behavior on the part of a former U.N. peacekeeper, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the investigation,” the article says.
“At this time, no further information is available on the ongoing FBI investigation, which has been in place since at least mid-April.”
The unnamed source also says the probe “remains open” and is continuing, adding, “There is no indication of a new suspect in the investigation.”
Fox News first reported on the FBI probe in June, and the network reported Wednesday that the FBI has not yet ruled out an investigation into the matter.
The network said it has learned that the computer, which is believed to have been used by the senator, was seized from his home in New Hampshire in late July.
Fox News also reported that Sen. John McCain is cooperating with the FBI’s probe.
McCain, who is currently recovering from surgery for a brain tumor, told reporters Thursday that he was not aware of any new developments.
“I’ve had no communication with them, but if I had been, I would’ve asked them about it,” McCain said, according for Fox News.
“But I have no idea, so I don’t know anything about it.”